Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Monday, July 12, 2010

Creating your own summer baskets





I have a penchant for hanging baskets, especially those filled with petunias. When my husband and I go away to celebrate our anniversary each year, we stay in the Bavarian themed town of Leavenworth. Every where we go, we find hanging baskets overflowing with petunias...I love it, and I would love to create a little of this look here at our nest!

BUT...have you seen the price tag on most of these baskets? (Yowzy!) Besides that, the containers themselves are nothing to write home about! SO...on my last trip to Lowe's, (how I love that store!) I found a basket I liked:



I put a little potting soil on the bottom, and added some white petunias, leaving some room for growth.





I added more potting soil around the flowers, and officially made my own hanging basket! Petunias spread quickly, so I know that soon this container will be overflowing with flowers!

And the cost?
$6.50~ basket
About $3.00~ flowers
And some potting soil I had on hand.

I am very happy with the cost AND the way it turned out! I am going to be making more of these!

I'm eventually going to put it above the back porch, but here it is by the front door for now. It is hanging up way too high, I know! Most of what you see is the basket itself, but I wanted to show a picture of it hung up, even if it's just its temporary home!





I hope this finds you doing well! Thank you so much for stopping by!

Blessings,

Jenni


making . life . beautiful









2 comments:

Robin Beck said...

I too love hanging baskets...This is the first year I didn't buy one. I've been tempted to make one myself~! The hummingbirds sure love them!
I have lived in Washington forever and have yet to go to Leavenworth (can you believe that?)
Great tutorial Jenni!
Robin~♥

Anonymous said...

Your hanging baskets are so pretty! We too love hanging baskets but we no longer have a porch. We did at our old house and every year we'd do something different. Ferns were really popular for a while. My favorite was Purple Wandering Jews so we did those several years in a row.