Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Friday, June 17, 2011

Master Bath Reveal With Bead Board Ceiling

Hello sweet friends! I hope this Friday finds you well, and ready for the weekend! Isn't it about time for a break from the weekday rush? :)

So...

Do you remember how I said that I would show you pictures of the whole master bathroom when we put the fan up? Well, having been so busy with the bedroom renovations, I just now finished most of the little touches I wanted to add to the bathroom before showing whole room photos!

{Now I still have the window treatments to make, however, and a couple of small decorations I want to make, but I'm declaring the room officially finished!}

The facts about this bathroom:

It is a 3/4 bath that I think is actually smaller than our walk-in closet.

We had already replaced all the fixtures with exception to the shower, which will be a future project. We also replaced the pocket door, old window, and flooring, as well as removed the baseboard heater. We'd added bead board and chair rail to the walls and trim around the door and window...This was the major renovation, and it looked much better than it had!

But what this bathroom still needed was some character~ and not the kind that included dry rot and grime! I knew just what this small space needed, too. I had seen a gorgeous bead board ceiling done in a bathroom at House of Smiths last year, and loved how it looked! So I set out to make our very own bead board ceiling! :)


We bought two 4x8 panels of bead board from Lowe's, for about 24 per panel. I made a paper template of our ceiling, and we put it up to the ceiling to test it and make any necessary adjustments. We also marked exactly where both the light fixture and fan cut outs were.


{Ceiling before}

We traced the template onto the bead board, and used both a jigsaw and a circular saw to cut it out. {Well, actually my husband used the circular saw, the one power tool that scares me to death! I had my first try at the jigsaw. But I have to admit, I was so nervous I'd mess it up that he did most all of the cutting.}

The next thing I did was find the rafters, using a stud finder, and mark where these were on the walls so we could see where to nail once the bead board was up.

Then came the exciting part of actually putting the bead board up, but it was work! We were using one entire panel, plus a small strip of another, so we nailed the smaller piece in first, and then the 4x3 sheet.

That was the tricky part. I hammered while David held the panel up, then he hammered while I held it up!



Then came the spackling and sanding...not fun, but it looked so much better afterward!



This is how it looked after trimming it out, but before replacing the strange light fixture and old fan. I used "quarter round" for the trim between the ceiling and walls, and cut it on our table saw.



I used "quarter round" for the trim between the ceiling and walls, and cut it on our table saw.



This is how it looks now, with the new chandelier and new fan. I rather wish the fan could be somewhere other than on our bead board ceiling, but that is where it needs to be, so oh well...But compared to how the ceiling looked before, I am so much happier with how it is now! :)




One thing I have realized is that just because your bathroom is small doesn't mean it cannot be a room you enjoy being in! I was determined to make it as pretty as I possibly could. :)

So we replaced the faucet {again} with one that was much better made:



I painted the walls a beautiful soft gray, a color Jami from Freckled Laundry came up with to paint her living room. It was just the right color!


And a vintage mirror replaced the wall cabinets.



{Sewed a linen sink skirt...}



And tied chalk paint tags onto baskets...





The towel bars were sprayed white~



{The waste basket even got a fresh coat of paint!} ;)



And I must admit, with all of the sawing, spackling, sanding, priming, and painting to redo this little room, it was just such a treat to fuss over it a little, and have fun actually decorating!





So this is the bathroom before all of this:



And this is after:




{I am linking this to the following parties: Tatertots and Jello, The Shabby Nest, Under the Table and Dreaming, French Country Cottage, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, and Funky Junk Interiors.} :)

Well, that's all for me tonight! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and thank you so much for stopping by! :)

Blessings,

Jenni

33 comments:

Lori said...

I can't wait to see the entire room. I've never seen a bathroom as small as my own master bathroom, which too, is smaller than our closet. I actually think it's smaller than your bathroom though...in fact, it's only 5'x5'. If only I hadn't chosen the color walls in my bedroom (which I love), my bathroom would seem a lot bigger, but I had to match it with the bedroom, right? Your bathroom looks lovely, and I've been planning on the beadboard ceilings as well in mine.

Patty Marker said...

It is stunning Jenny. I even brought my husband in here to take a look. I am going to try some beadboard in our upstairs (gross) littel bathroom but on the walls...not brave enough to try the ceiling. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the best for you Inspired handbags for less I0PD0616

Brandi Kennedy said...

That ceiling is just LOVELY!

Paula said...

I love it! So pretty!

Kate said...

Jenni
It is absolutely stunning to say the least. What a beautiful transformation. Have a great weekend

xo
Kate

Unknown said...

It looks so beautiful, Jenni! What a difference. I'm so happy the gray paint color worked for you. I had to giggle because I thought, "That kind of looks like the gray in my living room." and then I scrolled a little. Hehe I love the light fixture & the bead board ceiling especially. Great job.

Unknown said...

How gorgeous! What a beautiful transformation! I l-o-v-e the ceiling...just perfect. Have a great week!

Miranda
www.justdrinkacoke.blogspot.com

Amy Kinser said...

Your bathroom is just beautiful. Every little detail is just perfect. That chandi is gorgeous.

You and your hubby certainly make a great team.

michelle said...

Jenni this is gorgeous!! I love everything about this little bathroom and you have definitely added charm. :) Your sink skirt is so pretty and even the ribbon on the waste basket is adorable. You guys did VERY well my friend. :)
XOXO

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It's absolutely lovely! Such a gorgeous room! Well done!!

Tiff said...

Oh gorgeous Jenni!
I love your makeover! You must be so relieved to be done! Those little extras will be a pleasure now! I adore your colour scheme! Grey chalk paint was next on my list ... now I definately need some! Those tags are beautiful! Oh sweetie you must be so happy! I would be delighted with a bathroom like yours!
Thank you for your visit and kind words, I have been so sick with the silly old flu! Everything has been a struggle lately but feeling better each day! I am on school hols for three weeks now, so have some big plans! Keep well dear!
God bless, you and your sweet sister!
Tiff x

Deborah said...

Its perfect Jenni!!
All your special touches just make it so warm and inviting.
I love your colours...amazing job!!!

Deborah xo

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Absolutely gorgeous and charming! Love what you have done to your master bath- the beadboard is perfect and love the chandelier! THanks for sharing this at FNF this week! :)

Cindy said...

So gorgeous! I'm originally from New England and this has a Cape Cod feel!! Would you mind sharing where you got the chandelier? I love it! Thanks!

Simple Home said...

Oh Jenni, it looks just beautiful. You're such an inspiration. Do you want to come do mine now? ;)
Blessings,
Marcia

Deanna@SentimentalRedo said...

I love the colors! The ceiling is fantastic and adds so much interest and character. It's really looking beautiful.

Sky said...

Oh Jenni it's sooooo beautiful! I love it :)

Kelli

Kelly @ View along the way said...

Found you from Shabby Nest. GORGEOUS bathroom! I love the skirt around the sink. Wow!

Anonymous said...

It turned out beautiful!

Nan ~ Playful Decor said...

That's so cute & beautiful! Wanna come over and finish my bathroom? ;) New follower from Shabby Nest hop! Your blog is so cute - off to look at more...!

sandy said...

Oh my! this is one of the prettiest bathrooms I have ever seen! I'm in love with it! The ceiling came out fabulous! I love all your little details down to the ribbon on the garbage can. I want to try this as well.

With all that I must follow you !

Jean said...

The bathroom turned out lovely! I love your attention to detail.

Unknown said...

I love this idea I'm going to try it in laundry room. Can't wait to to see more of the room

ohiofarmgirl said...

It does look wonderful. I was wondering why you didn't use the white bead board at lowes instead of the natural where you had to finish it? I am thinking of doing the same so I was wondering if there was a reason? Nice work. Dianntha

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

Your bathroom looks amazing, Jenni! Wow, I love that pale gray on the walls and the linen, sink skirt. You made it look so pretty.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hey Jenni,

I thought I'd have a little skim back through your posts and had to relook at this one. I so love your sense of style. Your rooms feel so calming and gentle...but full of loveliness too.

I wish we lived nearer so I could pop over and have a proper look around.

Sarahx

Kitchen Benchtops said...

Such a great, easy, smart idea. Your color scheme is sweet and perfect for a neutral bathroom.

AttemptingAloha said...

SO pretty! I think I'd want to sleep in there, though! Ha!! It looks so peaceful and inviting. :) LOVE the grays and whites, and the beadboard ceiling is stunning!

Aloha,
charlie

Anonymous said...

I just popped into your blog thanks to a link from Pinterest and I'm in love with what you've done with this bathroom. SO pretty!

Simple Home said...

It looks wonderful and dreamy!
Blessings,
Marcia

sleleau said...

Web Site h0u89c8h56 louis vuitton fake replica bags on amazon More Help y2n71x7t40 best replica bags online replica evening bags best replica ysl bags gucci replica handbags j1n13v5t31 replica bags wholesale

smecoez said...

u6y38r9l38 o8i80c9d30 n9v28v3m71 q2p94d8b19 v2h68o7x24 f7c79t3u53