Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kitchen Love


Sarah from Modern Country Style is hosting a wonderful link party today called Kitchen Favourites.

Have you met Sarah? If not, you simply must! Her blog is a blend of delightful writing and gorgeous photography. But the best part is she is a total sweetheart, and visiting her blog is like having a friend over for coffee...or tea! :)

Now...

The idea is to share a favorite spot in your kitchen, but I floundered a bit on this because I have more than one favorite.

Not because it is the hands down, most gorgeous kitchen ever, {it's not} but because every part of this room, every nook, took a tremendous amount of effort to get it there.

{And we are still working...Is a room ever really done?}

Some of this you may recognize, because I have shared much of it along the way as we have worked!

Ours was the ugly duckling of kitchens.

Truly.

I wish I had a true before shot of this room to show you~ before as in when we first bought this home! But maybe it's good I don't or you'd be off running for sure! ;) {The halfway pictures are bad enough!} But in fairness, I will be showing a bit of those so you can see what we changed. :)



I love standing here at the sink, and looking out the window. But it wasn't always so...Here are a few "halfway house" pictures!



Old sink, old faucet, old counters...



Working...



A lot of paint!



The window was primed and painted, just like the bead board and cabinets!




The pantry doors have a bit of personality now with their chalkboard doors!



And when our kitchen was flooded, we removed the laminate down to the vinyl floor that was there when we moved in...



But it wasn't anything a little primer and paint couldn't handle!



To read more about this painted vinyl floor, click here.



But do you see a glaring problem?



Yep, one long wall of nothingness. Not good! But that was okay, because I had an idea. An "island" of sorts, since the room couldn't accommodate a true one, was set against that long wall...



The island was made from an vintage dresser found on Craigslist...




I am working on open shelving that will go on either side of the large chalkboard, but for now the chalkboard is a little lonely up there!

But this old house, especially this kitchen, has taught me something very valuable. You do the best you can with what you have. Some things could be replaced, others we had to get creative with until we could replace them! Hopefully next summer we will replace the flooring, and someday we will rip out the old cabinets...But I got to thinking that anything I did would be better than leaving it how it was! ;)



But guess what? This is not the only kitchen you can see! So do make sure and head on over to Modern Country Style, and see every beautiful kitchen that has linked up! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend, too!

Blessings,

Jenni


19 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

Oh, I love what you have done in your kitchen. So pretty.

May I tell you that visiting with you is also like visiting with a friend and sharing a sweet conversation over a cup of coffee? You are such a kind person. Thanks for that.

Patty Marker said...

I love your apron sink, it is gorgeous and you know I'm crazy about that beadboard. I share your philosophy and am learning that living with something is better than rushing to change it before you have the time and resources to do it how you want it to be done. Very pretty kitchen.

Unknown said...

Hi Jenni, so glad you stopped by my blog to introduce yourself! I love everything you have done with your kitchen, very talented! I adore your sink....I so want one like that! Also your chalkboard cupboard door...fantastic! I see you have a sweet wire basket too! Have a wonderful weekend, Kerry

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Your sink and taps are some of the very nicest I've seen. I'm green with envy!!!

And thank you SO much for the lovely things you said in your post. They really mean a lot to me. Especially coming from you - one of the loveliest people I've had the honour of meeting in blogland.

*big warm hug* to you, my gorgoeus friend.

Thank you so much for linking up to Kitchen Favourites!

Sarahx

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your kitchen so so fresh and gorgeous!! Love the beautiful cottage style! fantastic!!

michelle said...

Jenni your kitchen is SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I am love with your floors!!! Gets me thinking about some things that I may have to pick your brain about. :)
I love the window as well, what a great idea. You guys did an amazing job with this, thank you so much for sharing!
xoxox

michele said...

bravo on this gorgeous transformation! i'm in love with your kitchen faucet--so rich and lovely!

michele

Pamma said...

Your kitchen is just loveliness. I remember seeing your painted floor and admiring it so!
~Pam

Deborah said...

Love your kitchen.
No wonder you like standing over the sink area...beautiful!!
The beadboard...gorgeous!
The flooring..so creative!
Love all your special touches!!!

Deborah xo

Tonya said...

Oooo, I LOVE your kitchen...it's so cozy and pretty and clean. Really nice!!!

Joyce said...

Love your kitchen, great job!

Chookie said...

I love what you've done with it! It's so fresh and restful, more than I can say for the vinyl with the green squares! Eeeeewww!
(visiting via Modern Country Style's link party)

Anne said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Jenni! Every detail is beautiful. Love the floor and that pretty curtain over the sink. Visiting from Sarah's kitchen party.

Kate said...

Jenni
Your rooms are so breathtaking. Just like looking at a magazine. keep the inspiration coming girly I'm lovin every bit. Great post

Have a wonderful weekend
xo
Kate

GoldenValley50 said...

How I would love to do the washing up at your gorgeous sink (under that chandelier!) Beautiful and inspiring. ;)Sharyne

Tiff said...

Oh Jenni, every bit of your kitchens so gorgeous! I love the colour scheme and all your beautiful little additions... Not to mention that stunning floor! X

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I am popping over from Sarah's Kitchen Favourites party to see your kitchen. Working at your sink would be fun.

You can see my kitchen in my Chicago Vintage apartment. Can you stay for tea?

Fondly,
Glenda (link # 62)

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

Jenni, I love your kitchen! That window over your sink looks sooo much better painted white with that little curtain. I love the chandelier hanging over it too. The chalkboard cabinet adds a lot of character. You are so creative and your kitchen turned out beautiful!

xoxo
Amanda

Mike said...

I love the little glass knob you put on it. I'd love to see a close up shot of the knob.