Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Friday, August 6, 2010

From Vintage Dresser to Kitchen Island


IN OUR KITCHEN, counter space is a precious commodity. We make most all of our meals at home, usually from scratch. My husband likes to cook, whereas I enjoy baking. What we needed was another work station...

We knew before revamping our kitchen that a new floor plan was not in the budget, so this left the option of an island. There was just one little problem: we felt that because of the way the room was arranged, it wouldn't leave enough room for one. Which brought us back to the option of changing the room's footprint, which
wasn't an option.

What to do? The answer came when I realized we were going to have to think outside the box a little. We didn't have a place for a work station in the middle of the kitchen, but we
did have a long stretch of wall on one side of the room.



If we relocated the little breakfast table that was there, we could easily fit a nice long "island". I could imagine a pot rack above it, with open shelves on the wall for storing plates and cups and such.


With that idea in mind, I began designing an island, but was also keeping my eye out for a cabinet or other piece of furniture that I could cover with butcher block and convert to an island. Then I saw something here that solved the entire dilemma: a talented blogger that used a small dresser as an island (a "real" one!), decorated so cute, and with a small cutting board on top. I had thought to use a dresser for a buffet, but not as an island! This was perfect! SO, to make this already long story shorter, I found the right dresser on Craigslist~ a unique vintage piece with loads of character!


Height was a concern~ unless it was near counter height, it wouldn't be as comfortable to use. My husband saved the day by suggesting elevating the dresser with furniture feet, and made me a very happy woman by doing this for me! I chose bun feet, because it fit the style of the piece the best.



Off to IKEA I went~ my sister was kind enough to make the trek with me. In fact, she drove! I chose a 1-1/2 inch solid oak slab of butcher block, along with some stain and oil to treat it with.




I didn't end up needing the stain, however. It was already as dark as I wanted, so I simply oiled the wood. David cut it to fit and screwed it on, and sanded the cut sides to match the others.



I was determined to make it look less like a dresser, and more like an island. Even if it couldn't be an island in the conventional sense, it was the only island I was going to have, and I wanted it to look the part. So out came the bead board, which I added to both sides. I used trim on the top, back and bottoms of the sides to give it a more finished look. Using vinyl spackeling helped to fill all holes and gaps in the woodwork.


(before)


I was negligent and forgot to take a picture before we added the bun feet and butcher block. So you'll just have to imagine what it looked like without those! ;) BUT here is a picture of it after just putting on both the feet and butcher block:


(before)

I took off the old handles and knobs, and used wood putty to fill in ALL the holes where they had been. I drilled new holes for my new handles, glass ones to match the glass knobs on our kitchen cabinets. Changing the places for knobs and handles was a new thing for me, and considering I was doing it at one in the morning, I'm just thankful I was successful! :)



Out came the primer and the paint. I tried three different colors before choosing the creamy white on the walls above the bead board, which is a brighter shade of white. I wanted a little contrast since it would be pushed up right against the wall.



I am happy to have this extra space, although I think I will need to trim down my decorations on it a little so I have room to bake! ;)





Do you think I put enough pictures on this post?









We are linking this to the following parties:
{blog party buttons located on sidebar}


Just a Girl
My Romantic Home
Perfectly Imperfect
Under the Table and Dreaming
I Heart Nap Time
Coastal Charm
Between Naps On The Porch
Domestically Speaking
The Shabby Chic Cottage

Shabby Nest
Tatertots & Jello
Funky Junky Interiors





Thank you so much for coming by! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!





Blessings,




Jenni

37 comments:

june@craftyniche said...

You did a wonderful job! I LOVE butcher block! Can't wait to replace all of my counters with it. The color of the wood looks great!

Cindy said...

Wow! I think that was an amazing idea and it looks SO good. You really used your imagination, I'm sure no one would guess what this island was in it's former life.
Hugs, Cindy S

Robert said...

This was a great idea, and it looks fantastic!

visiting from Down on Sanford:
http://downonsanford.blogspot.com/

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I that you put the butcher block on top of a dresser... brilliant! I love the contrast with the creamy bottom and dark top... it's just BEAUTIFUL... Enjoy it!

Burlap Luxe said...

Jenni, you are more then just a girl perfectly imperfect. You did pull it off with magazine quality design look!!

I love it all and would love to bake with you in your beautiful kitchen. I love all the beautiful white, I bet you just sigh!!! and swoon when you enter your kitchen of inspiring desserts.
xx
Dore
PS. I some how lost you, so glad I found you :)
I will add you to my blog roll.
xoxo

Sharon said...

This looks beautiful!!! What a great idea, noww if only I had room this would definitely be my next project :)

Have a blessed weekend and thanks for sharing :)
Sharon

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Jenni,
What a outstanding job you did here with this kitchen island...looks GREAT!!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Erin said...

Jenni, WOW!!!! I love what you have done! This is such a great idea and the way you carried it out is phenomenal!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Jenni,
I would love to have you show this beauty off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope to see her there!

Blessings,
Linda

Erin said...

Hello Jenni, Thank you for stopping by! I have never made the bbq from scratch, just always stick with the bottled sauce because it is effortless. It is a tad saucy the first day, especially right after you shred. The second day soaks up a ton of the sauce. However, I have used less sauce while cooking before, to add more in AFTER the shred. It's not real salty, but a good blend with the sauce we use(another reason we use the bottle, takes out the x factor). Hope this helps!

Unknown said...

I really like your dresser-turned-island! It makes me want to do something similar! Great job.

Jenny said...

Beautiful! I so wish I had an eye for these things. I've seen the most awesome transformations that I would have never thought of myself.

Anonymous said...

It looks great! You did a fantastic job!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Jenni! What a fantastic transformation. Love the white with the wooden top - fabulous! I am featuring this today {stop by and grab a featured button if you like} Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a wonderful week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

the cape on the corner said...

wow, what a great idea, and it looks fantastic with the bead board and those knobs, and those feet! i am jealous!

stopping by from under the table and dreaming.

Debbie~ said...

It turned out beautiful, I especially like your glass pulls, they really make it special! Thanks for sharing! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

The butcher block looks great on top. It's a nice contrast to the creamy white paint.

Faded Plains said...

Your dresser/island turned out great...and your more than welcome to link and show my island on your blog...thanks so much for asking.

Shellbelle said...

Your project turned out fabulous and what a great idea! I've been looking for a vintage/shabby chic dresser to use in my living room for extra storage and you've inspired me even more! Kudos!

Shaunna said...

This is beautiful!! And functional...a deadly combo. And you can never take too many pictures! :) Thanks so much for linking up to Style Feature Saturday! -shaunna :)

Unknown said...

I love it! I die every time I see your floors. Just beautiful! Oh how I wish I had the space for something like this in my cozy kitchen...maybe a nightstand!

Jami

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! ya'll did a great job! I love the way it turned out. great addition with the feet and the bead board!
I love pics, but I had to chuckle when you said that, then I scrolled down to comment, and zap! there was one more! hahah
love it!
gail

Cassie Bustamante said...

i absolutely love this piece. you took it from ugly to a shining star- awesome!

Unknown said...

You really did a great job with that piece. I currently live with an undersized kitchen that is also a major thoroughfare. It's a challenge!

Ches said...

looks great and I really like the butcher block top. very cottage looking

Anna said...

great idea to have that extra counter space. It looks so pretty with the creamy white, butcher block top and the new knobs

Robin Beck said...

Once again you blew me away! It turned out great Jenni!

Robin~♥

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

That is wonderful. Who would have ever beleived that it was once a dresser. Thanks for getting me to look at things in a different perspective. ~~Sherry~~

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Love the island!! Perfect!! I did the same thing with a piece of furniture from a garage sale for my kitchen too. I know what you mean about precious countertop space in the kitchen!!!
Hi..I’m Barb….I am from Tatertots/Jello. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. I also would love for you to be a new Fan of my Facebook page too & click “LIKE” in the upper right hand corner of my blog & you’ve done it..Thanks so much! I am just starting at Facebook. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Adena (aka cre82learn) said...

This looks awesome!! I have been wanting an island for awhile and have room for one but hubby keeps wanting to wait since we are eventually going to redo all the cabinets anyway. Just happens I have a nice big dresser that I think I could do this with!! I would love to put a marble top on for rolling fondant!

JEANNE said...

WOW, you did good!!! I would never have guessed this was once a dresser. Clever, you and that includes your dh.
Hugs, Jeanne

yanmaneee said...

yeezys
nike air max shoes
converse shoes
adidas nmd
yeezy
supreme new york
goyard bags
kyrie 6
yeezy shoes
jordans

Scot Martin said...

so nice collection never seen before such rare things kitchen linens. thanks for sharing this informationhow to install a shower base on concrete floor

Selina Cook said...

A pretty important functions of one's kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to accomplish related tasks including dishwashing.how to install a shower base on concrete floor

lisal said...

so pleasant assortment never seen such uncommon things kitchen cloths. much obliged for sharing this data.unrefridgerated hard boiled eggs

Unknown said...

More Bonuses good quality replica bags take a look at the site here YSL Dolabuy other 7a replica bags wholesale

Unknown said...

w3j17x9o49 y3d51v6e21 r0h16s4b86 z9j12y4k79 c5d34u4z59 h8p46t9o62