Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Sunday, August 15, 2010

For the love of linen...

A lampshade reconstructed

I don't think there is any prettier fabric than linen. I love its simplicity and sweetness. It somehow manages to look both rustic and romantic. It can be "shabby" or elegant. It's timeless.
So last year when I was looking for kitchen inspiration, and found this picture~


of course one of the first things I noticed was this~


So, needless to say, I have kept my eyes open for a way to create something similar.
And then I saw how Jennifer Rizzo took a small lampshade and did her own take on Heather Chadduck's chandelier. What a great idea!
Of course I had to try this idea out!
Disclaimer: My experience with lampshade slipcovers is limited. In fact, the last time I attempted it, I gave up. This time I stuck with it until I had something to show for it.
Here is the lamp shade frame I started with:


So this is my version of the Heather Chadduck/Jennifer Rizzo lamp shades:

Now is it a work for the ages? Not exactly.


I will admit to being a bit disappointed that I had to use so many lace "ties" to fix it onto the lamp shade frame, but otherwise it wouldn't have held its shape as well. I wanted little lace bows, not ties...BUT...I have another one of these little lampshades I can't wait to deconstruct to try this again!
And, you know what? I am SO happy every time I look at it! I genuinely like it, even though it is NOT perfect. I guess it fits in just fine with this not-so-perfect little house of ours. :)
I hope you all had a fantastic weekend! Thank you for stopping by for a visit!

I am linking this to Making the World Cuter! :)

Blessings,
Jenni


8 comments:

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...

Wow! I absolutely love that shade! It couldn't have come out any better. Great craftiness lady!

Sharon said...

Good morning!

Your shade looks beautiful and I love the lace ties :) Great job! I also love that first photo, that ceiling looks beautiful!

Thanks for sharing this neat idea and have a blessed day!
Sharon

Erin said...

I think you did great, we are always our own worst critics:) I am currently working on a similar project, so I feel you :)

Leigh said...

What a cute lampshade, it looks great! Thanks for finding my blog and leaving such a nice comment!
--Leigh

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

Very cute lampshade! It's amazing how just making a few simple changes can give a lamp a whole new look! Thanks for visiting my blog and your comment. Have a great day!

Tara said...

I think it looks absolutely perfect!! Great job!!

Anonymous said...

I think linen is beautiful! I love to wear linen! I really wanted all linen window treatments but with us being 3rd shift workers they aren't darkening enough. I think you did a wonderful job on the lampshade! It's so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenni! This is so me. I love this lampshade! You are so creative! I'm going to have to try this with all the little lamps I have waiting in the wings. Very cute!

xx,
Michelle