Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Monday, January 2, 2012

{Amazing Spice Cake}


Hello friends! I hope you had a lovely New Year's weekend!

Isn't the thought of a new year such a wonderful thought? It is like one big, mysterious adventure just waiting for us! I am so excited to see what the year will hold! :)

I want to first thank you for your dear and thoughtful comments on my recent post concerning ideas for this blog. I was actually very nervous as I waited to hear what you would think! So thank you, for each and every comment touched my heart. And I am so glad to hear you think it all sounds all right! :)
 
Well now...

How about a slice of warm, straight out the oven pumpkin cake? Or perhaps banana is more to your liking, and well, that's all right, too!
It is soooo delicious with a cup of steaming hot coffee along side it, too!





And I must add, if you have the cake and the coffee, you might as well make it a thorough indulgence and include a wonderful book!
{It really can be any book, as long as you truly love it!} ;)





And the secret about this cake is that it is really more of a sweet bread. In fact, one of the reasons I love this recipe so, is that I was trying to duplicate the banana bread and the pumpkin bread found at Starbucks...only it would be fresher, and warm!

Well, this little recipe satisfied me to my heart's content! Delicious flavor and absolutely moist, down the very last crumb.





But the best part is that it is of those "one recipe, two ways" variety...The recipe came from a dear friend as Banana Spice Cake-
 but guess what? When I substituted canned pumpkin for the mashed banana, it worked entirely as well!
And I was as tickled as could be. Because one of my deep, dark secrets is that I use pumpkin all year round. Now that I have that off my chest, I am going to have to share this recipe with you! 

{I have also included a recipe for homemade buttermilk, should you not have this on hand!}

Amazing Spice Cake~ Banana OR Pumpkin 

2 1/2 cups flour
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger {for pumpkin cake}


2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
*2/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cup mashed banana OR 1 1/4 cup canned {or pureed} pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


*Making your own buttermilk is so easy! Using a measuring cup for liquids, first add a teaspoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice. Then add milk to the one cup line. Stir it well, and let it stand for ten minutes. This will keep refrigerated in a covered jar or other container for one week. It is the best if made with whole milk, but you can use 1% or 2 % if desired. Let it stand for 15 minutes. Store as above.

Mix the dry ingredients together first, then add the remaining ingredients. Stir for 30 seconds on low, then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan, and bake for 40 minutes.

Alternatively, you can mix the ingredients in a bowl if you prefer! I just love the convenience of the mixer!

{Grab a hot cup of coffee or tea and a book!}

Oh, and the book I chose?
 




This is my favorite book on decorating! It won't be long before it has dog eared pages, it is just that beloved!


Which book would you choose?


I hope you have a beautiful Tuesday!

Much love,
Jenni


6 comments:

Simple Home said...

I have got to get a copy of that book :) I love both pumpkin and banana bread, and yours looks and sounds delicious!
Happy New Year!
Blessings,
Marcia

NanaDiana said...

Oh, Jenni- Sweet girl! Thank you for finding me cuz now I found you back!!!! You had me at duplicating Starbucks (my home away from home) sweet bread. Now...if you could just figure out their Gingerbread I will be your friend for life!

I am copying this recipe over to try and when I do I will give a link back to you. I am tickled to have found your sweet blog. You are stuck with me now, kiddo! xo Diana

BECKY said...

Hi Jenni! Love your blog! So glad you popped in so I could find you! I also love your upbeat attitude! My kind of gal!!

Warm banana bread is my fave, but the pumpkin sounds lovely as well.

Hope your new year is full of wonderfulness!!

Hugs,
Becky

michelle said...

Happy New Year Jenni!!! Oh this looks so good and I can just imagine snuggling up with warm cake, hot drink and a wonderful book. I have a new book this year that I hope to do that exact thing with soon. It is called Pale and Interesting. It is a decorating book that I got as a gift. :)
Enjoy your week and I look forward to another year of friendship.
xoxo

PattieJ said...

Oh Thank's for the recipe. Sounds delicious! I will have mine with Tea and as far as books go not sure but it would definitely be some type of crafting book, I have so many waiting on my Amazon wish list...

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oooh,t his looks gorgeous - I can almost smell it from over here!!!

I'm not sure which book I'd choose. There are so many amazing ones, aren't there?! Maybe the Home Source Book - I always go back to that one.

Happy New Year, gorgeous!

Sarahx