Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Sunday, January 1, 2012

{The final Advent candle}



First off, a little disclaimer! 


 It is tradition to light the fifth candle on Christmas Day, which is what we do in our family. However, when posting on the Advent candles, I like to do this on the Sunday following Christmas Day. This way, each candle has its own day. And so we light the fifth and final candle today...




This last candle is the most important, and this is the Jesus candle. By lighting this last candle we recognize that His coming is the fulfillment of the prophecies concerning Him. 
 
I love this symbolism! On the first Sunday of Advent, we lit the prophecy candle: remembering the many times it was foretold that a Messiah would come to us, for us.

Now we find we have come full circle, from the promise to the fulfillment of every one of those promises! And we have just that in Jesus Christ! 




Down to the last detail, He met the criteria for what was told of the coming Messiah, from His birth to His death to His resurrection.

"Surely He took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered Him stricken by God, smitten by Him, and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed."   

~Isaiah 53:4-5

Below is a song that touched my heart so much, I wanted to share it with you here...







Thank you for joining me for the lighting of the fifth candle of Advent! {And Happy New Year to you!}

Blessings,
Jenni

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Jenni,
Thank you, so.
Your advent tradition is beautiful.
~Lynne
[w/L]

Shannon (advent calendars for kids) said...

I love your advent candle display, it's simple and beautiful. Of all the advent traditions I think the lighting of the advent candles each week is the one that moves my heart the most. there's just something about lighting the flame that symbolizes the light that christ brings to us... touching.