Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Friday, September 16, 2011

Ruffled Linen Garland {And Tutorial}


Hello lovely friends! 

How has your week been going? I hope that it has been a wonderful one! Is it just me, or has this week just flown by? But that's good, right? This means we're almost to the weekend! :)

This week I carved out some craft time, and got to work on something at the top of the list: creating a linen garland. Last fall, after making the Linen Wreath {here}, I tried my hand at a garland made from linen strips. However, stringing it onto twine {my first thought} did not work. My second thought was to use jewelry wire, and this did work, and this method used the same technique as to make the linen wreath. It just took me until now to get back to it. I know, how lame is that? ;)




Ruffled Linen Garland 




As with the linen wreath, I began by tearing strips of linen, about five or so inches wide. I found when I tore it versus cut it, the edges curled a wee bit, making it fuller and ruffly.   
To make tearing the linen easier, I cut in a couple inches first.

Next I used an awl, which is pictured below; it is the small tool on the bottom. {The other tool is a pair of wire cutters.}





Starting at one end of each strip, I began making holes in the linen with the awl, spacing them about an inch or so apart. They do not need to be perfectly evenly spaced, and as you can see, mine sure aren't! ;)





At this point, I started weaving my linen strips through the holes,






and scrunching up several folds at a time before sliding it down the wire, and weaving more of the strip on.








I continued this until my garland was right length, then shaped the wire ends on each side into hooks to hang the garland. 

 


 {I used thumb tacs on the top of my mantel to hang the garland from.}

 I twisted the ruffles this way and that until I got the the look I wanted. 


 
After it was hung, a little more tufting and twisting...





until it was just right. :) I also added a lace ribbon to each side...

Now if you would like to make your own ruffled linen garland, here is what you'll need:

awl
wire cutters
12 gauge jewelry wire
linen or linen look-alike
fabric scissors
decorative ribbon for ends {if desired}





Now if you like this ruffled linen look, you might like the linen wreath I made last fall:




You can find that here if you like! :)

I am linking this post to:
{Air Your Laundry Friday} at Freckled Laundry
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors 
The Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming 



I hope you all have a good night, and a beautiful Friday! And, as always, thanks so much for coming by! :)

Blessings,
Jenni

32 comments:

Mel said...

Fabulous! Because of it's neutral colour, it would be easy to embellish it for any occasion. But, it looks perfect exactly as it is.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I love this look and thanks for showing us how you made it.

Blessings,
Linda

Deborah said...

Jenni this is just so lovely!!!
It looks amazing!
I love it on your mantel...you are just so talented, and this linen garland adds such softness.
Thanks for the tutorial too!
have a great day my friend xoxo

Deborah xoxoxo

Julie H said...

That's super cute! I just got a bunch of linen at a thrift store for practically free too :)

Simple Home said...

It looks beautiful Jenni. I just love the looks you create :)
Blessings,
Marcia

Honey at 2805 said...

This is so creative and pretty on your mantel!

I would be delighted for your to link up to Potpourri Friday (in progress) and giveaway!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Stunning! This is so beautiful and I love that it's a little on the scrappy slde too. :)

Featured on FJI Facebook for SNS 99. :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150367581826141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Donna

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. Love it! Do you have any idea about how much linen you used? Thanks for sharing!

Dana @ CraftedNiche.wordpress.com

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

LOVE this! I am going to try a version in a creamy vanilla shade of muslin. I'll garland everything that sits still! Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how sweet! Looks easy enough to make too, thanks - I might have to try this one!

paige said...

So elegant out of something so simple! Wish I had a mantel...need to figure out somewhere else to hang something that cute!

I'd love for you to link it up to my new weekend linky party -

Creative Genius - http://www.thecreativepaige.com

Kelsey said...

This is gorgeous- I can't wait to try it. It certianly turned out beautiful :)

Kim@todayismysome-day said...

This is absolutely stunning! Yet simple! If I had an award I'd give it to ya! Pinning this one!

michelle said...

Jenni this is so pretty, I love it!! I adore how it looks on your mantel. I might have to give this a try.
I hope you enjoyed your weekend and are having a great day!
Hugs!!
xoxoxo

Amy Kinser said...

Jenni, this is gorgeous on your mantle. You did a beautiful job. I made a wreath like that last year and still love it!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Absolutely loving this~ it is just wonderful!! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Tiff said...

Oh wow Jenni! How awesome! I loved the wreath and now I extra love the garland! I wish I had a fireplace.... But I will find somewhere... I have to do one for Christmas!!! You are so inspiring!!! Hugs! X

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

This is lovely-very creative. I can see doing something christmasy with burlap in that style. I'm a new follower. Cheers

AttemptingAloha said...

Yep, still a rock star. ;)

Aloha,

Charlie

Carrie said...

So lovely! Thanks for sharing the how-to!

Your newest follower,
Carrie

jenclair said...

Love it! I've made several burlap wreaths, but this garland is just delicious!

Emily said...

I love the linen garland against the silver candle holders. I am going to pin this on on Pinterest.

. said...

Oh my goodness Jenni!! I've been playing catch up on blog reading and just saw this post. The garland is GORGEOUS!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I also love the window on the mantel. What is on the glass?

Jenni said...

Dear Anonymous~

You asked about the window on the mantel...it is actually an old window without glass that I put galvanized metal in instead. If you are interested in the post on this, there is a link for it on my sidebar, under "popular posts". :)

Brandi said...

Hi Jenni! Both your wreath and garland are gorgeous! I loved your garland so much I was inspired to make my own. I blogged about it and included a link back to your blog. You can view it here if you like!
http://bet1975.blogspot.com/2011/10/burlap-garland.html


Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!!

Gypsea Nurse said...

Jenni~ I got sent here by I cn't even tell you right now.. because I have been hopping all over your blog in complete awe!! Trying to find the "follow" button!
Amazing!
Amazing!
Amazing!
I just can't say it enough!!!
Thank you for sharing!
Smiles~
Cricket @ gypsea nurse

Brandi said...

Hi Jenni! I left you a comment on this post today, but I don't think it ever posted...dang Blogger! LOL!!

anywho... I made some garland using your tutorial and linked back to you in my post. you can view it here if you like-
http://bet1975.blogspot.com/2011/10/burlap-garland.html

thanks so much for sharing your creativity!

beige & blanc said...

So cute, I love it, and will for sure create one. Very nice blog that I just discover.
Nat

Béa said...

Thanks so much for these "pas à pas"...
Best regards...

kate said...

★★j'adore tes couronnes & ta guirlande..
je vais poster un tuto sur mon blog .
j'ai deja realise moi aussi ce style de couronne avec de la toile de jute..
je te rajoute sur mes liens
bises ,kate
a bientot★★

Shanna768 said...

Could you tell me how much linen you used for this?
Thanks!